We held our first Living Streets Bristol open meeting on 23rd July. 15 people discussed issues and possible solutions, resulting in an agreement to concentrate on 4 areas:
1. Better Faster Crossings:
- a maximum wait for pedestrians at light controlled crossings of 30 seconds – though many should have no delay at all
- an end to the zebra cull – a commitment to preserve all existing zebra crossings – and make funds available for more
- more ‘informal crossings’ – raised road surfaces across side road junctions
2. Enforce existing parking rules
- A substantial investment in council parking enforcement – which could be self financing – throughout the city.
- Zero tolerance of pavement obstruction. In many areas, vehicles block pavements for days on end. We want this to be a citywide policing priority.